AA Roadside Assistance for our members
We are able to offer our members the following benefits through Takafol Assist. (please note that this excludes commercial vehicles)
AA Fleetcare Road Patrols/Yellow Vans & Battery-Service Vans
This is a 24/7/365 days service. The primary objective is to affect on-the-spot mobility at the roadside. The service is limited to R500 and is available in the major metropolitan areas of Johannesburg, Tshwane, Cape Town, Durban, East London, Port Elizabeth, Rustenburg, Polokwane, Nelspruit, George and Strand/Somerset West (AA sub contractors are appointed outside these areas). Some of the services offered include:
• Change of a flat tyre
• Fuel assistance (cost of fuel for member’s account)
• Flat battery (jump start or replacement of battery for the member’s account)
• Key-lockout service (unlocking only; cost of replacing keys is for the member’s account)
• Minor roadside-running repairs (electrical, coil, immobiliser, battery-related breakdowns etc.)
This is a 24-hour service. In the event that an AA road patrol is unable to open a vehicle to retrieve the keys from the vehicle or should the breakdown have occurred outside of an AA road patrol operating area, the AA will dispatch an accredited locksmith service provider to the incident scene to open the vehicle. The service is limited to R300 (covers the cost of the first 40km). The AA will not pay for repairs, the replacement of a lock or ignition switch or the cutting of keys.
AA Tow Trucks – Mechanical / Electrical Breakdowns
This is a 24-hour service. The primary objective of the AA tow truck fleet is to tow a vehicle to the nearest franchised dealer (if under warranty) or to the nearest approved AAQA repairer. The service is limited to R500 (covers the cost of the first 40km) and is available in the major metropolitan areas of:
• Cape Town
• Strand/Somerset West
AA Tow Contractors – Mechanical / Electrical Breakdowns
This is a 24-hour service. The primary objective of the AA’s accredited tow contractor fleet is to tow a vehicle to the nearest franchised dealer (if under warranty) or to the nearest approved AAQA repairer. The service is limited to R500 (covers the cost of the first 40km) and is available throughout South Africa, Lesotho, and Swaziland.
In the event that a vehicle has broken down more than 100km from the member’s home and the vehicle has been towed by the AA, the AA will pay for 24-hour, Group-B car hire for the member to complete his/her journey or to return home. This service is subject to availability and the driver must be in possession of a valid credit card and driver’s license. The service is limited to R500 and includes the costs of the daily car rental, rates per kilometer travelled, insurance fees and the delivery / collection charges of the vehicle to a maximum of 25km respectively. The cost of fuel will be for the member’s account.
In lieu of the car-rental option, arrangements can be made for overnight accommodation for the driver and four passengers. The service is limited to R500, on the condition that the vehicle has been towed by the AA.
Should the member choose the car-rental option and continue his journey while the vehicle is being repaired, we will pay towards the costs of providing the member with a 24-hour, Group-B car hire to collect the vehicle after repairs. Alternatively, a flight ticket can be arranged. The service is limited to R500 and includes the costs of the daily car rental, rates per kilometer travelled, insurance fees, and the delivery / collection charges of the vehicle to a maximum of 25km respectively. The cost of fuel will be for the member’s account.
Should the member insist that the vehicle be towed to a dealership closer to his/her home address, we will supplement the additional tow costs with the costs of car hire for the vehicle-repatriation service.
In the event of an accident, the AA will arrange for the vehicle to be towed to the nearest accredited client-appointed panel beater or AA quality-assured panel beater from the accident scene. The cost of the first 40km is covered.
In the event of an electrical / mechanical breakdown or an accident, we will on request relay any urgent messages to friends, colleagues or family members to advise them of your circumstances.
General Terms & Conditions
• Services will only be rendered to members with active policies.
• AA roadside-assistance services are only available in the event that the breakdown occurs in South Africa, Lesotho or Swaziland. The AA will not refund breakdown assistance charges for breakdowns that occur in any other country.
• All services must be authorised, arranged and managed by the AA call centre. Any costs incurred through arrangements made by the member without prior authorisation from the AA call centre, shall not be reimbursed.
• In the event of a mechanical or electrical breakdown, the vehicle is to be towed to the closest franchised dealer or AAQA repair centre to the scene of the breakdown.
• The AA’s liability only extends to the towing of one vehicle and not a trailer, boat or caravan. Multiple tows (e.g. where you need a trailer, boat or caravan towed) will be for the member’s account.
• A member will only be entitled to the car hire and overnight accommodation benefits if the vehicle was towed by the AA.
• An accident shall be defined as damage to one or more body panels (which will require repair in a body shop) as a result of a collision with another vehicle or object. An accident shall also include instances where the engine catches fire, or where impact with a pothole, kerb or pavement results in damage to the suspension, wheels or undercarriage (and not necessarily the body panels), and where it is clear to the customer and the service provider that the damage is of an insurable risk nature, irrespective of whether or not the car is insured. In instances of doubt the AA shall arbitrate on this latter definition. In the event of the accident being caused by mechanical failure, the incident will be considered to be an accident.
• In the event of an accident, the vehicle is to be towed to the closest client-appointed approved panel beater or AA Quality Assured panel beater to the scene of the accident.
• A customer will not be entitled to service where:
– The vehicle is not in a roadworthy condition
– The vehicle is a motor home or large panel van
– The vehicle has a gross mass exceeding 3.5 tons
– The fault is with a trailer, boat trailer or caravan
– The vehicle is already at a place of repair
• The AA does not refund:
– Labour, overtime or cellular-phone charges, toll-gate fees, call-out fees, weekend levies, storage charges, hitching/salvage/recovery fees and the cost of spare parts
– Repair charges
– Charges for assistance rendered by a private person
– Charges for assistance required due to participation in a motorised sporting event
Maximum benefit payable per policy per annum of R5 000.